From HPMoR, chapter 66, paragraphs 1-4:

Well, since you are citing Yudkowsky...

[ ... ] If you weren't just hesitating, you ought to be able to choose in advance what you would do, once you had the extra information you claimed you needed.

That would be useful advice only for an agent with unbounded rationality. A boundedly rational agent like an human can't possibly plan in advance for every possible contingency.

Hesitation is not necessarily, or even usually, a bad thing: it's an emotion that warns you against making important decisions without having extensively thought about all the options. Of course, too much hesitation can be crippling.

If a better option materializes while I'm still alive, then it seems unlikely that my having signed up for cryonics now will prevent me from taking advantage of it. So, by signing up now, I have the advantage of not having cut off my future options, as well as having the cryonics package in case I do kick the bucket before then.

Yes, but if the option you choose has negligible probability of succeding, then, with overwhelming probability you waste your money. 30 $ per month may not be much money for you, but you could as well spend them in lottery tickets and their expected utility would be in the same ballpark (that is, negligibly greater than zero).

If the LW arguments for cryonics add up, then I no longer have any good reason to delay; and, as far as I can tell, they do.

It seems to me that the arguments against outweight the arguments in favor. In particular:

The multiply chained nature of the probabilities involved in cryonics, and whether the final expected utility is worth the cost.

I don't see this adressed in the arguments in favor.

How inexpensive do you feel signing up for cryonics would have to be, before you considered it worthwhile to pay for?

Finally Ending My Cryo-Crastination

by DataPacRat 1 min read24th Sep 201244 comments


I've finally decided to take the plunge and make the arrangements for my eventual cryonic preservation. To help myself make sure that I actually follow through with everything necessary, I'm publicly pre-committing myself here to accomplish that.


As initial evidence that I'm actually serious about doing this, I've sent an email to The Cryonics Institute today, whose contents were as follows:

I have decided to finally stop procrastinating and make the necessary arrangements for my eventual cryonic preservation, and I have chosen CI to make those arrangements with.

I have looked through your membership pages and online sample forms, and I believe that I can work through my end of the paperwork without any real trouble, although I would still appreciate any advice you have to offer. For example, I live in Canada, about an hour's drive from Toronto, which might affect which forms are necessary.

Before I send my initial payment, I would at least like to confirm the basic details, and let you know who the money is coming from. It appears that, to start things off, I can Paypal you USD $110, for the yearly membership fee plus the first quarter's dues; after which I would mail you a physical, signed copy of the yearly membership application. After that, there will be a variety of documents to sign and have witnessed; and the insurance plan to arrange for. Is that a reasonable summary?

For the life insurance, I am thinking of a 20-year term policy with RBC (Royal Bank of Canada). Have you had any dealings with them previously, to know whether or not there will be any problems in setting the Cryonics Institute as the beneficiary? Do you have any recommendations about how large a benefit in excess of the basic USD $35,000 amount the policy should pay out, such as to cover currency-exchange fluctuations or the 'local help' rider?

Is there anything else you would recommend be discussed before I make that initial payment and set the ball in motion?