Discussion article for the meetup : West LA—What Is FAI?
How to Find Us: Go into this Del Taco. We will be in the back room if possible.
Parking is free in the lot out front or on the street nearby.
Discussion: Though it is not relevant to rationality and is very easy to think wrongly about if you have not studied the art, Friendly AI is often discussed by rationalists, for historical reasons involving the founder of Less Wrong and a spearhead FAI theorist being the same person. Friendly AI is not a technical term, so it should be easy to explain what it basically is.
- Friendly AI wiki article and the things linked to thence
- Five theses, two lemmas, and a couple of strategic implications
- The genie knows, but does not care
- Superintelligence, by Bostrom. Chapter summaries available here
- Friendly AI research forum
No prior exposure to Less Wrong is required; this will be generally accessible.