Some back of the napkin math. Suppose we:
- Value a QUALY at $50k.
- Use an expected lifespan of 10k years. Perhaps you expect a 1% chance of living 1M years due to the possibility of a friendly superintelligence or something.
That would mean:
- The value of your life would be $500M.
- A 1% chance of death would cost $5M.
- A 100x smaller chance of death of 0.01% would cost $50k.
- Decreasing your chance of death 100x would be worth ~$5M.
There seem to be various ways to decrease your chance of death from the coronavirus by 100x or more by going from "normal careful" to extremely careful.