[This was previously a shortform post]
Sometimes I scroll social media (because I am yet weak) and I see rationalists raising Concerns about various news topics and current events. I am bothered by what appears to be a high ratio of (raising awareness) : (taking action).
To better articulate this, here is a list of some of the concerns I hear a lot lately. Each issue has a sublist of potential actions, starting with the least useful. I’m definitely interested in hearing better ideas too.
- Our institutions are losing trustworthiness and competence
- Shout about the CDC on social media
- Try to understand what leads to institutional success/failure
- Try to advance incentive-compatible systems and social tech that can scale
- Freedom of speech is under attack! Gatekeepers! Reality czar! The Narrative!
- Take traditional political action
- Less twitter, more substack
- Research and post about the economics and logistics of running your own servers.
- Experiment with ring signatures?
- Social media is harming mental health, undermining individual & group epistemics, and enabling horrible actions in meatspace
- Complain about it on social media in between dunking on your outgroup.
- Await humanity’s inexorable slide down the fitness gradients toward memetic collapse.
- Promote more group activities in your group house. Establish device-free zones.
- Coordinate to stigmatize doomscrolling, hate-reading, and contempt addiction. While we’re at it, let’s stigmatize using Twitter at all.
- Large, free, liquid prediction markets cannot exist, supposedly due to the global influence of burdensome US trading regulations.
- Traditional political action
- Pay a competent YouTuber to make a really good explanatory video (series) about prediction markets.
- Write a postmortem on Augur to help similar endeavors in the future avoid the same pitfalls
- Research and post about why prediction markets haven’t gotten big even where regulation is looser
- Start up a competitor to Kalshi, and launch before they do
- Ongoing Uighur atrocity
- Share an article about it once in a while
- Take traditional political action, push for substantial international response
- Make fewer purchases from companies that profit from the abuse of Uighurs