- covers a mixture of social and natural factors leading up to the isolation of the thing
- historical in the original, investigative sense of the term "history."
- risks being wrong
- integrates concrete and model-based thinking that is checkable on multiple levels
- affirms basic competence of humans to explore our world
- centers process of discovery rather than a finished product
The rationality sequences created a community with shared language for talking about mind and optimization space. If we have that history understood on a technical level, I think we'll be better at seeing through founder effects to recognize ally and sister movements forming in other contexts.