Hi LessWrong! I'm a LWer from Melbourne, Australia, and I'm taking a 3 month road trip (with a friend) through parts of the United States. I figure I'd enjoy hanging out with some fellow rationalists while I'm over here!
I attended the May Rationality minicamp in San Francisco (and made some friends who I'm hoping to meet up with again), but I've also heard good things about the LessWrong groups all over the United States. I'd like to meet some of the awesome people involved in these communities!
We've been planning this trip for a while now and have accommodation pretty much everywhere except for the second half of San Francisco.
- 17th-21st Nov - Los Angeles, CA
- 21st-28th Nov - San Francisco, CA
- 28th Nov-1st Dec - Las Vegas, NV
- 2nd-3rd Dec - Flagstaff, AZ
- 3rd-7th Dec - Phoenix, AZ
- 7th-9th Dec - Santa Fe, NM
- 9th-10th Dec - El Paso, TX
- 10th-13th Dec - San Antonio, TX
- 13th-21st Dec - Austin, TX
- 21st-26th Dec - Dallas, TX
- 26th-29th Dec - San Antonio, TX
- 29th Dec-2nd Jan - New York City, NY
- 2nd-3rd Jan - San Antonio, TX
- 3rd-6th Jan - Houston, TX
- 6th-9th Jan - New Orleans, LA
- 9th-12th Jan - Memphis, TN
- 12th-15th Jan - Nashville, TN
- 15th-18th Jan - Atlanta, GA
- 18th-22nd Jan - Miami, FL
- 22nd-26th Jan - Orlando, FL
- 26th Jan-1st Feb - Washington DC
- 1st-4th Feb - Philadelphia, PA
- 4th-6th Feb - New York City, NY
- 6th-9th Feb - Mount Snow, VT
- 9th-13th Feb - Boston, MA
- 13th-15th Feb - New York City, NY
- 15th-26th Feb - Columbus, OH
If you're in one of these locations when I am, contact me! Either ahead of time or at short notice is fine. I'll be checking meetup posts and mailing lists for events that I can make it to as well, but if you happen to know of an event or meetup happening that fits the schedule, feel free to let me know in the comments.
Message or call me on 4242 394 657, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org - or you can leave a toplevel comment on this post, or message my LW account directly. Looking forward to meeting any and all of you!
Hi, another Australian visiting Berkley. Presumably this will happen on Wednesday the 21st
Nice! I'm actually doing something similar in December, bussing though various cities in the States (thread at http://lesswrong.com/lw/e9t/the_wandering_rationalist/) before going, mildly ironically, to Australia. I actually think I'm going to be in Austin around the same time as you, though not for as long. I'll be reposting my message with dates shortly.
If you happen to be in Melbourne while you're in Australia, see if you can come to one of our twice-per-month regular meetups!
Indeed you are! (Your post was the inspiration+reminder for this post, actually). We should try to run into each other somewhere in Austin.
I'll schedule a meetup for when you are in Phoenix.
Awesome! Thank you.
About the Washington DC visit: Do you have definite plans for that week yet? I can try to organize a suitable special meetup during that time; typically we have them on Sundays at 15:00.
The only definite plan is ironically celebrating Australia Day on the 26th; it looks like the 27th is the Sunday, which works fine.
Not sure how firm your schedule is, but if you felt like stopping by the Durham NC area, we could probably get a meetup together and find lodging for you. We're not too far out of your way on the Orlando to DC route.
I assume from the schedule that you're looking to be in Times Square for New Years. Please beware that the streets become a bit of a maze during that time, there are parts where they don't let people in/out of the area between certain times, and they often have inadequate facilities for the number of people.
We do have it as part of a tour, so hopefully these will be partially mitigated. I will be aware, though, so thanks for the heads up.