Questions from the Wait But Hi event
During the first Wait But Hi event, some ice breaker questions were proposed, including 7 main ones and 6 more in-depth ones (at least some of them seem good for LessWrongs too):
- Everyone’s procrastinating on something in life. What’s something you’re procrastinating
- What was your favorite year of your life so far? What year (that you’ve already lived) will
Future You say is their favorite?
- What’s an unpopular opinion you have?
- Complete the sentence: I wish more people would _____.
- You’re launching a startup—what is it?
Some more in-depth topics:
- Is consciousness a black and white thing—i.e. some species are conscious and others
are not? Or is consciousness a spectrum—i.e. humans are more conscious than chimps,
who are more conscious than chickens, who are more conscious than insects? Could AI
be as intelligent as we are in every way, but still not conscious? Or is consciousness
simply the word we use to describe the feeling of being human-level intelligent—i.e. a
human-level intelligent AI would be conscious, by definition?
- Someone who knows the Teletransporter Thought Experiment, explain it to the table (it’s
explained in the Wait But Why post What Makes You You). Thoughts? Is teletransporting
a form of traveling? Or a form of dying? If you believe it’s a form of dying, does that
mean you believe that the particular atoms in your body are what make you you, and not
simply their arrangement?
- Cryonics? Yes or no, and why or why not?
- Thoughts on Universal Basic Income?
- Are you excited about an AI future? Why or why not?
- Is free speech in peril on our campuses and other liberal bastions? Can political
correctness go too far? Or is that only what you think when you’re kind of being a bigot
and you just don’t realize it?