I'm interested in drawing on a tablet. I'll put my specific criteria below, but I'd like this to be as broadly useful as possible, so I'm going to ask the questions in general first:
What is your set up for electronic drawing? What tools do you use? What apps? What's your use case, and why are these choices the best for it? What would make you change your mind about your choices?
My specific preferences
That said, my specific goal is a tablet I use for Art (drawing and writing) that has no other distractions, to facilitate focused work. The use case leads to the following restrictions:
- I don't want to be tethered to a second device, so it needs to be a generalist tablet, not just a drawing tablet.
- I don't know what requirements I should be putting down for a drawing tablet, please tell me. Pen sensitivity seems important, but will I notice the difference between 8,192 and 4,096 pressure levels? How much processing power do I need to scribble?
- I'm invested in the android ecosystem. Unfortunately, the only android tablets anyone recommends for drawing are from Samsung, and for complicated and stupid reasons, the writing use case rules out Samsung (this is what's killing me on my current distraction-free writing set up).
- If there were a really cheap tablet that was for some reason amazing at drawing but terrible for writing, I could probably limp by with my current writing set up.
- Ideally USB-C charged, will tolerate micro-USB, really would rather not use lightning or another proprietary connector as it's one more damn cable to carry around.