I am considering to freeze my saliva if/when I get omicron, in order to later inject the frozen covid+ saliva into my nose some 6-12 weeks from recovery in order to boost my immunity against covid for longer. What do you people see as ups and downs of this approach?
The main reason for this is that I presume here in Finland they may limit covid vaccine availability after third dose, as both here and for instance in UK some people in medical community have talked that vaccinations after booster should be limited for some reason. If there are further boosters available, those seem clearly preferable over infection.
Rationale is that since your body has recovered from covid, it should have learned how to combat covid with immune system. With reintroducing the same infection I would hope to at least reset the antibody count to slow waning of immunity. Otherwise I have understood antibody count will wane so that you get omicron again in 6-10 months.
I am not a doctor nor a biochemist. I have asked from 2 doctor friends of mine and they saw no large reasons against this, but one of them reminded me that I should not inject the contents but indeed put it in my nose.
My planned procedure is:
- Wash hands
- Write on ziploc/minigrip bag: BIOHAZARD, COVID+ SALIVA, <name> <date>
- Collect saliva into a clean cup
- Pour the saliva into the bag
- Clean the bag from outside with a napkin
- Wash hands
- Put the bag inside another similar bag upside down
- Wipe the second bag with a napkin
- Wash hands
- Put the second bag inside third bag again upside down compared to the previous bag
- Wipe the third bag with a napkin
- Put the bag collection into back of a regular freezer (-18 C)
My plan of disposal of the bags with or without use is to burn them in my fireplace. Alternative plan is to put it into regular trash after first keeping it in direct sunlight for a day.
Main pros and cons I have figured out:
- easy to obtain
- longer immunity
- icky, weird
- live virus inoculation seems potentially harmful
So, sanity check time. What do you see as ups and downs in this approach? Go, no go?
Update on 2022-02-23: I have decided against this procedure, because it seems very possible omicron will only offer immunity for 29 days, so doing this could risk an actual reinfection.
Thanks! In case more boosters will be allowed, indeed then of course one should not expose oneself to live virus on purpose. So the usage decision is a separate from storage decision, as in potential usage time we will likely have much better information on if or when we will get permission for new vaccine doses.
One notable point is that if you have survived the virus before, the frozen virus is the exactly same virus, variant etc, because it is taken from you. Therefore I would understand your body should have a good immunity against that specific virus given your body beat it already.