From 11th-13th September aspiring rationalists will gather for 3 days of socialising, fun and intellectual exploration. There will be a few pre-planned activities, but most of the content will be unconference style and participant driven.
On Monday, September 6th, participants will be invited to the event Discord and to access the collaborative schedule, to start planning what shall happen the following weekend. Over the week, the schedule will be filled in with workshops, talks and activities.
This is the 7th year of the LessWrong Community Weekend. Those of you who have attended this event before know that the atmosphere and sense of community at these weekends is something really special. If this sounds like something you would enjoy and you have some exciting ideas or skills to contribute, do come along and get involved.
However, as you might have noticed, this year's event is significantly different in one regard. Normally the LessWrong Community Weekend is an in-person event held in Berlin. This is the first time we’re trying this online, which means new and interesting opportunities to explore. For example, who will program the seal-of-approval bot?
Apply here before September 4th.
Early applicants will be favoured in the application process.
This event is free. However I do encourage donations to keep the LessWrong Community Weekend (LWCW) alive for the future.
I believe that most of us wish to come back to the normal, in-person LWCW next year. However, it is unclear if this will happen since the usual organisers are tired of doing all that work for free. If you agree with me that organisers deserve to get paid, then I encourage you to make a donation to the Berlin LessWrong community (who are the ones normally organising the LWCW). This money will be split evenly between retrospectively paying past organisers and be put out as a bounty for future organisers.
Suggested amount: 10-50 Euro depending on your personal budget.
LessWrong Deutschland e.V.
IBAN: DE74 8306 5408 0004 8647 19
Comment: LWCW Organiser fund
If your bank asks you for the bank's name and address, this is it:
Zweigniederlassung der VR-Bank Altenburger Land eG
04600 Altenburg (Thür.)
Some Platforms we will use
This list is preliminary. If you have better suggestions, please let me know!
(Don’t worry if the list seems long. Most of these work in your browser, so that all you have to do is to follow the link that you will be provided for that activity.)
- Discord will be used as the main communications hub for the event. This is where you will go to find all other information. Activities that don’t happen in Discord will be linked to from Discord.
- Teamup calendar for collaborative scheduling of activities.
- CozyRoom will be the main place to go to for more casual socialising. This platform is under development, so there will be more fun features by the time of the LessWrong Community Weekend. On top of that, the developers of CozyRoom have offered to set up a special server that will allow for more participants to be in the CozyRoom space without running into technical limitations.
- Zoom and/or Google Meet. None of the above platforms are great for really large gatherings such as the opening and closing sessions and probably some of the more popular talks. For these things we will use Zoom and/or Google Meet. Which one depends on the number of participants and the needs of these participants.
- Icebreaker will be used for speed-friending sessions.
- Possibly more…? There are likely to be activities that require some specific platform, e.g. online board games. But activity organisers are discouraged to use anything that requires installation.
Sounds great! Only one complaint: international wire is an enormous pain. It would be way better if it was possible to pay by PayPal or something.
If your country allows it, there are plenty of platforms (e.g. TransferWise) with which you can do international transfers easier and with lower fees than banks.
Thanks! Just used it to make the payment.
Good point. I don't think LessWrong Deutschland have paypal. But if you sent it to me, then I can forward the money.
My paypal is my normal email: email@example.com
Applications are now closed. We'll be ~120 participants!
Me and the Helpers are finishing up the final preparations in Discord, and other places, so that we are ready to invite you in on Monday.
I've just sent out the last acceptance emails. If you have applied and not heard from me or anyone else on the organising team, then let me know asap, so we can find out what went wrong.
I may accept late applications in exchange for a bribe. (I'm actually serious about this. A *few* late applications is not a problem, and the bribe is so that you don't make a habit of it.)