I enjoy reading popular-level books on a wide variety of subjects, and I love getting new book recommendations. In the spirit of lukeprog's The Best Textbooks on Every Subject, can we put together a list of the best popular books on every subject?
Here's what I mean by popular-level books:
- Written very well and clearly, preferably even entertaining.
- Does not require the reader to write anything (e.g., practice problems) or do anything beyond just reading and thinking, except perhaps on very rare occasions.
- Cannot be "heavy" reading that requires the reader to proceed slowly and carefully and/or do lots of heavy thinking.
- Can be understood by anyone with a decent high school education (not including calculus). However, sometimes this requirement can be circumvented, if the following additional criteria are met:
- There must be other books on this list that cover all the prerequisite information.
- When you suggest the book, list any prerequisites.
- There shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 prerequisites.
- Post the title of your favorite book on a given subject.
- You must have read at least two other books on that same subject.
- You must briefly name the other books you've read on the subject and explain why you think your chosen book is superior to them.