About a year ago, LessWrong held it's first annual review, where we looked over the best posts from 2018. The LessWrong team offered $2000 in prizes for the top post authors, and (up to) $2000 in prizes for the best reviews of those posts.
For our top post authors, we have decided to award.... *drumroll*
- Abram Demski & Scott Garrabrant are each awarded $200 for Embedded Agents
- Eliezer Yudkowsky receives $200 for The Rocket Alignment Problem, and another $200 for Local Validity as the Key to Sanity and Civilization
- Paul Christiano is awarded $200 for Arguments about Fast Takeoff
- Abram Demski receives an additional $200 for Towards a New Technical Explanation of Technical Explanation.
- Martin Sustrik receives $200 for Anti-Social Punishment
- Scott Alexander receives $200 for The Tails Coming Apart as a Metaphor for Life
- Alkjash receives $200 for Babble
- Patrick LaVictoire $200 for The Loudest Alarm is Usually False
For Reviews, there are three tiers of prize ($300, $200, $100):
- Vanessa Kosoy receives $300 for her reviews of Realism about rationality, Coherence arguments do not imply goal-directed behavior, and Clarifying “AI Alignment”.
- Zack M. Davis receives $200 for commentary on Meta-Honesty, and Decoupling vs Contextualising Norms
- Bucky receives $200 for his critique of Unknown Knowns
- Abram Demski receives $100 for his response to Realism about Rationality
- Daniel Filan receives $100 for a variety of reviews of Coherence arguments, Explain enlightenment in non-mysterious terms, Realism about Rationality, Towards a New Impact Measure
- Mingyuan receives $100 for a good critique of Give Praise.
- Jacobian receives $100 for his review of Intelligent Social Web.
- Zvi and Jameson Quinn both receive $100 for lots of good short reviews.
- Val receives $100 for taking the time to reflect on and rewrite his own post, The Intelligent Social Web.
Not for reviews, but for discussion in the review, $50 apiece goes to Richard Ngo and Rohin Shah.
Prizewinners, we'll reach out to you in a week or so to give you your prize-money.
Congratulations to all the winners!