MIRI's ongoing effort to publish the sequences as an eBook has given us the opportunity to update their contents and organization.
We're looking for suggested posts to reorder, add, or remove.
To help with this, here is a breakdown of the current planned contents of the eBook and any currently planned modifications. Following that is a list of the most popular links within the sequences to posts that are not included therein.
Now's a good time to suggested changes or improvements!
Removed The Robbers Cave Experiment because it already appears in Death Spirals and the Cult Attractor, and there in the original chronological order which flows better.
Removed The Litany Against Gurus because it already appears in Politics is the Mind-killer.
Removed Asch's Conformity Experiment and Lonely Dissent because they both appear at the end of Death Spirals. Removed The Genetic Fallacy because it's in the Metaethics sequence: that's where it falls chronologically and it fits better there with the surrounding posts.
Removed this entire subsequence because it is entirely contained within Mysterious Answers to Mysterious Questions.
Added Pascal's Mugging (before Torture vs Dust Specks) because it explains the 3^^^3 notation. Added Torture vs Dust Specks before A Case Study of Motivated Continuation because A Case Study refers to it frequently.
Removed How to Convince Me that 2+2=3 because it's already in Map & Territory.
Added Evolutionary Psychology because it fits nicely at the end and it's referred to by other posts many times.
No change. (Includes the Zombies subsequence.)
No change. Doesn't include any "Preliminaries" posts, since they'd all be duplicates
- The Simple Truth
- An Intuitive Explanation of Bayes' Theorem
- A Technical Explanation of Technical Explanation
Here are the most-frequently-referenced links within the sequences to posts outside of the sequences (with a count of three or more). This may help you notice posts that you think should be included in the sequences eBook.
- Newcomb's Problem and Regret of Rationality => 24
- The Second Law of Thermodynamics, and Engines of Cognition => 22
- Terminal Values and Instrumental Values => 16
- Burdensome Details => 16
- Expecting Short Inferential Distances => 15
- Thou Art Godshatter => 14
- Religion's Claim to be Non-Disprovable => 14
- Scope Insensitivity => 13
- The Ultimate Source => 13
- No One Knows What Science Doesn't Know => 12
- The Design Space of Minds-In-General => 11
- Think Like Reality => 10
- Passing the Recursive Buck => 9
- Lost Purposes => 9
- The Hidden Complexity of Wishes => 9
- Scientific Evidence, Legal Evidence, Rational Evidence => 9
- A Priori => 8
- Beautiful Probability => 8
- Possibility and Could-ness => 8
- Why is the Future So Absurd? => 8
- Fake Utility Functions => 8
- Availability => 7
- Ghosts in the Machine => 7
- Nonsentient Optimizers => 7
- Fake Fake Utility Functions => 7
- Searching for Bayes-Structure => 7
- Outside the Laboratory => 7
- Dreams of AI Design => 6
- Surface Analogies and Deep Causes => 6
- Artificial Addition => 6
- Not for the Sake of Happiness (Alone) => 6
- Superstimuli and the Collapse of Western Civilization => 5
- Decoherence is Falsifiable and Testable => 5
- The Cartoon Guide to Löb's Theorem => 5
- Can't Unbirth a Child => 5
- The Psychological Unity of Humankind => 5
- Humans in Funny Suits => 5
- Rationality is Systematized Winning => 5
- The True Prisoner's Dilemma => 5
- Zen and the Art of Rationality => 5
- The "Intuitions" Behind "Utilitarianism" => 5
- For The People Who Are Still Alive => 4
- The Two-Party Swindle => 4
- Conjunction Fallacy => 4
- Anthropomorphic Optimism => 4
- The Modesty Argument => 4
- Rational evidence => 4
- Priors as Mathematical Objects => 4
- The Unfinished Mystery of the Shangri-La Diet/ => 4
- I Defy the Data! => 4
- Bystander Apathy => 3
- We Don't Really Want Your Participation => 3
- You Only Live Twice => 3
- Lawful Creativity => 3
- One Life Against the World => 3
- Locate the hypothesis => 3
- Cynical About Cynicism => 3
- Optimization => 3
- Illusion of Transparency: Why No One Understands You => 3
- Detached Lever Fallacy => 3
- Circular Altruism => 3
- The Allais Paradox => 3
- The Martial Art of Rationality => 3
- Fake Morality => 3