I was studying in the LW Study Hall, and during our break someone posted this link to the official hyperloop announcement:
One member was doubtful it would get past regulations, and another said "tentative p>0.05 that a hyperloop gets made by 2100", which was met with "p>0.05 that uploading people and moving them between bodies will be available by 2100".
It struck me that people might be interested in betting on things like this, or at least having a conversation about it.
A few predictions to start:
- Tesla Motors / SpaceX / Elon Musk will create a working hyperloop by 2100.
- Tesla Motors / SpaceX / Elon Musk will create a working hyperloop by 2050.
- Tesla Motors / SpaceX / Elon Musk will create a working hyperloop by 2030.
- The cost projections of the hyperloop are underestimates by at least an order of magnitude.
- When and if a hyperloop-like transit system is built (or not), the US will not be the first country to build it.
- One of the first really big (>5bn$) hyperloops will go across a body of water.
- If a hyperloop is created, it will be predominately (>50%) solar-powered.